This position reports to the Manager: Policy, Strategy and Research. The incumbent will conduct research as well as provide general support to the Research division.
- Provide research and analytical support to the functions of Economic Regulation and Infrastructure/Industry Development in the PRSA
- Conduct quality economic and regulatory research and analysis as required
- Produce quality research reports
- Present research findings within and outside the organisation as required
- Conduct benchmarking studies
- Performance monitor the Authority
- Perform ad hoc projects.
The successful candidate will be competent in:
- Statistics, quantitative and qualitative research
- Critical thinking, problem identification and problem-solving skills
- Project conceptualisation and tracking
- Data sourcing, arrangement, interpretation and analysis
- Report writing and presentation on research findings
- Project management to achieve set objectives.
- A postgraduate qualification in Economics/Maritime Studies and/or the relevant experience in a regulatory, economic or port and maritime research institution
- At least 2 years’ relevant research experience
- South African citizenship
- Experience and knowledge within an economic regulatory environment
- An understanding of port policy and a regulatory environment
- A working knowledge of the maritime environment
- Demonstrated experience in conducting research, more specifically economic research, collecting, collating and analysing information and research data with the ability to problem solve
- Demonstrate the ability to communicate both verbal and written research findings
- The ability to work independently and as part of a team
- A strong work ethic
- Knowledge of the maritime sector.
The position will be based in Durban, and will entail travel. A competitive remuneration package will be offered to the successful applicant in line with his/her knowledge and experience, and the Regulator policies. The successful candidate will conclude a performance agreement with the Managers within 90 days.
Applications must consist of the following:
A comprehensive letter of application which includes:
- Notice periods required in current position
- Date of availability to commence employment
- Employment Equity status
- Residence status (RSA citizen, etc)
A complete CV attached thereto, which includes (but not confined to):
- Thorough academic and work history
- Languages spoken and proficiency
- Responsibilities in each position held
- Green Bar coded South African Identity Document (or passport).
Please contact Atiyah Bhabha on +27 (31) 365 7800 or email for any enquiries about this closed vacancy.
The Ports Regulator is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Our building is accessible to people with disabilities, and the organisation will take all reasonable measures to accommodate the needs of successful candidates with disabilities.