This position reports to the Manager: Policy, Strategy & Research. The successful candidate will conduct research as well as provide general support to the Economic Research division. The successful applicant will have a post graduate qualification (Honours / Masters) in the field of Economics, Econometrics or equivalent and/or relevant experience in a regulatory or port systems environment. The candidate must have demonstrated experience in conducting research, more specifically economic research, collecting, collating and analysing information and research data with the ability to problem solve. The candidate will need to demonstrate the ability to communicate both oral and written research findings. The candidate will be required to be meticulous, work independently, have a strong work ethic and be able to work as part of a team. Knowledge of the maritime sector is required.
- To provide research and analytical support to the functions of Economic Regulation and Infrastructure in the Regulator;
- Conduct quality economic and regulatory research and analysis as required;
- Produce quality research reports;
- Conducting benchmarking studies;
- Performance monitoring of the Authority; and
- Perform ad-hoc projects.
The successful candidate must competent in:
- Statistics, quantitative and qualitative research;
- Critical thinking, problem identification and problem solving skills;
- Project conceptualisation and tracking;
- Data sourcing, arrangement, interpretation and analysis;
- Report writing and presentation on research findings; and
- Project management to achieve set objectives.
- A post graduate qualification in Economics / Maritime studies and/or the relevant experience in a regulatory, economic or port and maritime research institution;
- At least two years relevant research experience;
- South African Citizenship;
- Experience and knowledge within an economic regulatory environment;
- Understanding of port policy and regulatory environment; and
- A working knowledge of the maritime environment.
The Ports Regulator is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Our building is accessible to people with disabilities, and the organisation will take all reasonable measures to accommodate the needs of successful candidates with disabilities.
The position will be based at the Regulator’s office, and will entail travel. A competitive remuneration package will be offered to the successful applicant in line with their knowledge and experience, and the Regulator policies. The successful candidate will conclude a performance agreement with the Manager within 90 days.
Applications must consist of the following:
A comprehensive letter of application which includes:
- Notice periods required in current position
- Date of availability to commence employment
- Employment Equity status
- Residence status (RSA citizen, etc)
A complete CV attached thereto, which includes (but not confined to):
- Thorough academic and work history
- Languages spoken and proficiency
- Responsibilities in each position held
- A copy of the South African Identity Document (or passport).
- Certified copies of Senior certificate and other qualifications.
Note: All shortlisted candidates may be subject to psychometric testing as well as a round of internal testing, together with criminal checks and a security clearance.
Please contact Atiyah Bhabha on +27 (31) 365 7800 or email for any enquiries about this closed vacancy.