This position reports to the Manager: Policy, Strategy & Research. The successful candidate will conduct research as well as provide general support to the Economic Research division. The successful applicant will have a post graduate qualification (Honours / Masters) in the field of Economics, Econometrics, Statistics or equivalent post graduate qualification or relevant experience in a regulatory or port systems environment. The candidate must have demonstrated experience in conducting research, more specifically economic research, collecting, collating and analysing information and research data with the ability to problem solve. The candidate will need to demonstrate the ability to communicate both oral and written research findings. The candidate will be required to be meticulous, work independently, have a strong work ethic and be able to work as part of a team. Knowledge of the maritime sector is required.
- To provide research and analytical support to the functions of Economic Regulation within the Regulator;
- Conduct quality economic and regulatory research and analysis as required;
- Produce quality research reports;
- Present research findings within and outside the organisation as required;
- Conducting benchmarking studies;
- Support the formulation of research methodologies, collect data, collate and tabulate data, perform preliminary analysis
- Performance monitoring of the Authority; and
- Perform ad-hoc projects.
The successful candidate must competent in:
- Statistics, quantitative and qualitative research;
- Critical thinking, problem identification and problem solving skills;
- Project conceptualisation and tracking;
- Data sourcing, arrangement, interpretation and analysis;
- Report writing and presentation on research findings; and
- Project management to achieve set objectives.
- A post graduate qualification in Economics / Econometrics / Maritime studies/ Statistics or equivalent post graduate qualifiction or relevant experience in a regulatory, economic or port and maritime research institution;
- At least five years relevant research experience;
- South African Citizenship;
- Experience and knowledge within an economic regulatory environment;
- Understanding of port policy and regulatory environment; and
- A working knowledge of the maritime environment is an added advantage.
The Ports Regulator is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Our building is accessible to people with disabilities, and the organisation will take all reasonable measures to accommodate the needs of successful candidates with disabilities.
The position will be based in Durban, and will entail travel. A competitive remuneration package will be offered to the successful applicant in line with their knowledge and experience, and the Regulator policies. The successful candidate will conclude a performance agreement with the Manager within 90 days.
Applications must consist of the following:
A comprehensive letter of application which includes:
- Notice periods required in current position
- Date of availability to commence employment
- Employment Equity status
- Residence status (RSA citizen, etc)
A complete CV attached thereto, which includes (but not confined to):
- Thorough certified academic and work history
- Languages spoken and proficiency
- Responsibilities in each position held
- A certified copy of the South African Identity Document (or passport).
Note: All shortlisted candidates may be subject to psychometric testing as well as a round of internal testing, together with criminal checks and a security clearance.
Contact Nafeesa Ally on +27 (31) 365 7800 for any enquiries about this vacancy.
Forward your application, clearly stating the position for which you are applying, in the email subject title, to by no later than 24 June 2021. Only short-listed applicants will be contacted.