This position reports to the Chief Executive Officer of the Ports Regulator of South Africa. The successful candidate must manage the Industry development department so that interventions and programmes are in place to uplift the liason with the maritime sector and facilitate the creation of world class ports in South Africa.
- Oversee the Ports Regulators liason with key role players in the industry to develop and implement initiatives to improve Ports system
- Oversee monitoring of provision of infrastructure, facilities and promotion of efficiency in Ports system
- Represent the Ports Regulator at the PCC’S, Government Departments and NPCC as well as other relevant industry forums to ensure the Ports Regulator remains in touch with the needs of the industry and the challenges
- Oversee assessment of the Authority’s Port Development and Capex
- Oversee research conducted on port performance, capacity, utilization, adequacy of Capex and efficiency in benchmarking
- Contribute towards relationships with Government and industry to promote development of Port related businesses
- Oversee the analysis of effectiveness of BBBEE programmes and interventions in Ports system and recommend changes as well as implementation as required and to review these processes
- Liaise with Government in implementation of BBBEE codes/charter
- Manage the entire Industry Development department in a manner which is in accordance with the Annual Performance plan
- Be responsible for the development of an annual business plan aligned to the strategy and budget
The successful candidate must:
- A relevant honours degree
- 7-10 years in economic regulatory/government environment
- 5 years’ management experience
- Knowledge of the ports industry
- Understanding of strategic, functional, operational and technical management and related risks
- Proven experience in Port performance, port benchmarking, maritime sector analysis aswell as involvement in Port sector liason
- Leadership, people management and good interpersonal skills with ability to engage with Directorates, Executives and Regulator Members
- Good organisational and Planning Skills, good verbal and written communication skills, excellent research skills, experience in project management and report writing
- In-depth knowledge of applicable legislation, regulations and frameworks
- Knowledge of training methodologies, research methodologies and practices
The Ports Regulator is an equal opportunity employer
The position will be based in Durban, and may entail travel. A competitive remuneration package will be offered to the successful applicant commensurate with their qualifications and experience within the regulatory environment and the Regulator’s policies.
Note: Candidates may be subject to a round of internal testing together with criminal checks and a security clearance.
Applications must consist of the following:
A comprehensive letter of application which includes:
- Position is being applied for
- Notice periods required in current position
- Date of availability to commence employment
- Employment Equity status
- Residence status (RSA citizen, etc)
A complete CV attached thereto, which includes:
- Thorough academic and work history
- Languages spoken and proficiency
- Responsibilities in each position held
- A copy of the Identity Document
- Certified copies of Senior certificate and other qualifications
Contact Nafeesa Ally on +27 (0)31 365 7800 for any enquiries.
Forward your application, clearly stating the position for which you are applying, in the e-mail subject title, to: by no later than close of business on 21 October 2021. Only short-listed applicants will be contacted. The Ports Regulator reserves the right not to fill any position.