This position reports to the Executive Manager: Legal of the Ports Regulator of South Africa. The successful candidate will deliver and manage the Tribunal, Compliance and Regulatory functions under the leadership of the Executive Legal.
- Required to assist the Executive, Compliance and Regulatory in discharging its responsibility in mitigating all legal risks and ensuring compliance with applicable regulatory, statutory and legislative requirements.
- Must report all legal risks, litigation, compliance findings and Tribunal matters to the organisation’s Executive and Board.
- Required to assist in implementing the strategic framework for Compliance, Regulatory and Tribunal functions aligned to government’s strategic objectives.
The successful candidate must:
- Have an LLB degree (A Post graduate qualification will be an advantage)
- Admission as an Attorney with the Law Society of South Africa
- A minimum of 5 years post admission experience
- A minimum of 3 to 5 years of management experience
- In depth legal knowledge specifically in the field of Commercial, Contract and Administrative Law
- The incumbent should possess leadership, people management and good interpersonal skills, with the ability to engage with other Directorates, Executives and Board Members
- An understanding of strategic, operational and risk identification and risk management
- Knowledge of governance best practices
- In-depth knowledge of applicable legislation, regulations and frameworks
- Knowledge of Legal research methodologies and practices
- Knowledge of Legal practices and processes including litigation
- An understanding of maritime legislation and litigation
- Assist with the development and implementation of the organisation’s Legal, Compliance and Regulatory Strategy
- Report and Opinion drafting
- People management including ensuring applicable deliverables and targets are achieved
- Minimisation of risk of Administrative Action for the organisation
- Review and drafting of commercial contracts for the organisation
- Provide general legal support
- Responsible for planning, scheduling and implementation of all compliance duties/activities
The Ports Regulator is an equal opportunity employer.
The position will be based in Durban, and will entail travel. A competitive remuneration package will be offered to the successful applicant commensurate with their qualifications and experience within the regulatory environment and the Regulator’s policies.
Note: Candidates may be subject to a round of internal testing together with criminal checks and a security clearance.
Applications must consist of the following:
A comprehensive letter of application which includes:
- Notice periods required in current position
- Date of availability to commence employment
- Employment Equity status
- Residence status (RSA citizen, etc)
A complete CV attached thereto, which includes:
- Thorough academic and work history
- Languages spoken and proficiency
- Responsibilities in each position held
- A copy of the Identity Document
- Certified copies of Senior certificate and other qualifications
Please contact Nafeesa Ally on +27 (0)31 365 7800 for any enquiries about this closed vacancy.