This position reports to the Executive Manager: Industry Development of the Ports Regulator of South Africa. The successful candidate must work with the Executive Manager and manage the Industry development department so that interventions and programmes are in place to interface with different stakeholders and role players in the maritime sector and facilitate the creation of world class ports in South Africa.
- Manage the Ports Regulators liason with key role players in the industry to develop and implement initiatives to improve Ports system
- Monitor the provision of infrastructure, facilities and promotion of efficiency in the port system
- Plan and implement effective engagements with stakeholders including through the PCC’S, Government Departments and NPCC as well as other relevant industry forums to ensure the Ports Regulator remains in touch with the needs of the industry and challenges to be addressed
- Conduct assessments of the Authority’s Port Development and Capex
- Conduct research on port performance, capacity, utilization, adequacy of Capex and efficiency in benchmarking
- Contribute towards relationships with Government and industry to promote development of Port related businesses
- Conduct analysis and/or review of effectiveness of BBBEE programmes and interventions in the port system and recommend changes aswell as implementation plan in relation to NPAs compliance and transformation in the port system
- Liaise with Government in impl ementation of BBBEE regulations/codes/charter
- Manage subordinates in the Industry Development department in a manner which is in accordance with the Annual Performance plan
The successful candidate must:
- Honours degree in Public Administration/Business Management/Economics, a master’s degree will be advantageous
- 5 years in economic/regulatory/government environment
- 3 years’ management experience
- Knowledge of the ports industry, structures and governance processes
- An understanding of strategic, functional, operational nd technical management and related risks and management thereof
- Proven experience i port performance, port benchmarking, maritime sector analysis as well as involvement in port sector liaison
- Leadership, people management and good interpersonal skills with ability to engage with Directors and Executives
- Good organisational and planning skills, good verbal and written communication skills, excellent research skills , experience in project management and report writing
- In-depth knowledge of applicable legislation, regulations and frameworks
- Knowledge of training methodologies, research methodologies and practices
The Ports Regulator is an equal opportunity employer
The position will be based in Durban, and may entail travel. A competitive remuneration package will be offered to the successful applicant commensurate with their qualifications and experience within the regulatory environment and the Regulator’s policies.
Note: Candidates may be subject to a round of internal testing together with criminal checks and a security clearance.
Applications must consist of the following:
A comprehensive letter of application which includes:
- Position is being applied for
- Notice periods required in current position
- Date of availability to commence employment
- Employment Equity status
- Residence status (RSA citizen, etc)
A complete CV attached thereto, which includes:
- Thorough academic and work history
- Languages spoken and proficiency
- Responsibilities in each position held
- A copy of the Identity Document
- Certified copies of Senior certificate and other qualifications
Contact Nafeesa Ally on +27 (0)31 365 7800 for any enquiries.
Forward your application, clearly stating the position for which you are applying, in the e-mail subject title, to: by no later than close of business on 21 February 2020 Only short- listed applicants will be contacted.