This position reports to the Executive Manager: Legal of the Ports Regulator of South Africa. The successful candidate will manage the Legal, Compliance and Tribunal functions within the legal department and assist the Executive Manager: Legal to ensure that the mandate of the Ports Regulator is carried out in terms of Section 30 (1) (b) and (c) of the National Ports Act No. 12 of 2005.
Furthermore, the successful candidate shall ensure that there is efficient management and functioning of the Tribunal, in terms of Section 30(2)(a) of the National Ports Act.
- Required to assist the Executive, Compliance and Regulatory in discharging its responsibility in mitigating all legal risks and ensuring compliance with applicable regulatory, statutory and legislative requirements.
- Must report all legal risks, litigation, compliance findings and Tribunal matters to the organisation’s Executive and Board.
- Required to assist in implementing the strategic framework for Compliance, Regulatory and Tribunal functions aligned to government’s strategic objectives.
The successful candidate should have:
- Qualification in law (LLB or equivalent);
- LLM as an added advantage;
- Been admitted as a Legal Practitioner (Attorney/Advocate);
- 5 years’ experience post admission as an Attorney/Advocate;
- 3 years management and leadership experience;
- 3 years previous litigation /tribunal experience;
- Experience in Administrative Law;
- 3 years previous experience in a regulatory compliance environment, is mandatory;
- Demonstrable knowledge of the National Ports Act, its Directives, Regulations and other relevant enactments;
- Experience within the Ports or Maritime Environment, as an added advantage;
- Excellent analytical, research, legal and report writing capabilities;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills;
- Code B Driving licence.
- Assisting Executive Manager: Legal to review and provide input to the Strategic Plan of the Ports Regulator;
- Report on progress against the Annual Performance Plan;
- Conduct periodic compliance monitoring and/or reviews of all agreements/licenses entered into by the National Ports Authority (NPA) in terms of the requirements of the National Ports Act and its Regulations;
- Assist in advising if the NPA’s Tariff Application is in compliance with the requirements of the Act and Directives, when required;
- Conduct research as required into regulatory compliance frameworks;
- Report timeously on compliance issues to the Executive Manager: Legal;
- Receive and assess complaints and appeals in accordance with sections 46 and 47 of the National Ports Act, to ensure they are within time limits and are valid;
- Recommend investigations where these are appropriate and conduct necessary investigations of complaints lodged within the Regulator, in terms of section 48 of the Act, and provide Investigation Report;
- Render registrar work for the Tribunal;
- Schedule tribunal hearings to ensure tribunal matters are expedited;
- Manage cases and matters with regard to deadlines are met and required information is submitted to the various parties and Regulator as required;
- Engage with complainants, appellants and/or legal representatives as may be necessary, on behalf of the Tribunal;
- Ensure all documents are made available to tribunal members timeously and transcripts are kept of proceedings;
- Conduct research or interpret legislation on matters as required;
- Prepare status reports regarding tribunal matters to the Executive Manager: Legal as and when required and which are to be presented at quarterly Regulator meetings;
- Litigation management;
- Human resource management;
- Provide legal support to the secretariat and the Ports Regulator;
- Assist in the drafting, reviewing and vetting of contracts, SLAs, MoUs, Policies, etc;
- Conduct Contract Management;
- Perform any other duties related to monitoring and compliance functions of the Ports Regulator of South Africa;
- Functions well within a team.
- Assist with the development and implementation of the organisation’s Legal, Compliance and Regulatory Strategy
- Report and Opinion drafting
- People management including ensuring applicable deliverables and targets are achieved
- Minimisation of risk of Administrative Action for the organisation
- Review and drafting of commercial contracts for the organisation
- Provide general legal support
- Responsible for planning, scheduling and implementation of all compliance duties/activities
The Ports Regulator is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Our building is accessible to people with disabilities, and the organisation will take all reasonable measures to accommodate the needs of successful candidates with disabilities.
The position will be based in Durban, and will entail travel. A competitive remuneration package will be offered to the successful applicant commensurate with their qualifications and experience within the regulatory environment and the Regulator’s policies.
Note: Candidates will be subjected to a round of internal testing together with criminal checks and qualification verification.
Applications must consist of the following:
A comprehensive letter of application which includes:
- Notice periods required in current position
- Date of availability to commence employment
- Employment Equity status
- Residence status (RSA citizen, etc)
A complete CV attached thereto, which includes:
- Thorough academic and work history
- Languages spoken and proficiency
- Responsibilities in each position held
- A certified copy of the Identity Document
- Certified copies of all qualification certificates
- Salary expectactions must be stated
Please contact Nafeesa Ally on +27 (0)31 365 7800 for any enquiries about this closed vacancy.