This position reports to the Manager: Legal, Tribunal and Regulatory Compliance of the Ports Regulator of South Africa. The successful candidate will deliver a quasi-legal and tribunal services under the leadership of the Executive Manager: Legal.
The successful candidate must:
- Have a Qualification in Paralegal Diploma or Degree in Law;
- Post-qualification paralegal experience in corporate governance will be an advantage;
- Be able to demonstrate knowledge of the National Ports Act, its Directives,Regulations and other relevant enactments;
- Completed comprehensive training in the para-legal field;
- Practical knowledge of MS Office and internet navigation / research; Must be familiar with local regulatory requirement;
- Member of Corporate Counsel Association of South Africa(CCASA) and / or Compliance Institute of SouthernA frica(CISA) will be an added advantage;
- Experience within the Ports or Maritime Environment would be another added advantage;
- Previous experience in a Regulatory environment will also serve as a distinct advantage;
- Have excellent analytical, research, legal and report writing capabilities;
- Possess excellent communication and interpersonal skills;
- Be in possession of a Code B Driving licence;
- Being fully bilingual and / or fluent in multiple languages / dialects is advantageous.
- Assisting Manager:Legal, Tribunal, and Regulatory Compliance in the management of tribunal matters;
- Legal research, fact gathering and information retrieval;
- Drafting correspondence;
- Draft document responses and discoveries;
- Contacting and conferencing with stakeholders;
- Analysing and summarising documents;
- Semi investigations of the complaints or appeal;
- Preparing for and assisting attribunals;
- Locating and interviewing complainants / appellants and / or respondents;
- Responsible for following up and assisting in the resolution of incoming complaints and appeals;
- Open case files and close within reasonable timeframes;
- Create accurate and complete record of investigative actions;
- Conduct research and trend analysis in order to identify and potentially minimize policy violations;
- Perform reasonable and lawful adhoc duties within the Legal Department;
- Function well within a team
The Ports Regulator Is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Our building isaccessible to people with disabilities, and the organisation will take all reasonable measures to accommodate the needs of successful candidates with disabilities.
The position will be based in Durban, and may entail travel.
Note: Candidates will be subject to a round of internal testing together with criminal checks and qualification verification.
Applications must consist of the following:
A comprehensive letter of application which includes:
- Notice periods required in current position
- Date of availability to commence employment
- Employment Equity status
- Residence status (RSA citizen, etc)
A complete CV attached thereto, which includes:
- Thorough academic and work history
- Languages spoken and proficiency
- Responsibilities in each position held
- A copy of the Identity Document
- Certified copies of Matric certificate and other qualifications
- Salary expectations must be clearly stated.
Contact Nafeesa Ally on +27 (0)31 365 7800 for any enquiries. Forward your application, clearly stating the position for which you are applying, in the e-mail subject title, to: by no later than close of business on 3rd November 2020. Only short-listed applicants will be contacted.