This position reports to the Manager: Industry Development of the Ports Regulator of South Africa. The successful applicant will have a post graduate qualification (Honours / Masters) in the field of Economics / Econometrics / Transport Planning / equivalent and/or relevant experience in a regulatory or port systems environment. The candidate must have demonstrated experience in conducting research, collecting, collating and analysing information and research data with the ability to problem solve. The successful candidate will participate in project conceptualisation, planning and execution of port industry development and stakeholder engagements initiatives, port infrastructure assessments, and benchmarking research under the leadership of the Manager Industry Development.
The successful candidate must:
- Have a post graduate qualification in Economics / Econometrics / Transport Planning or the equivalent with 2-4 years relevant experience in a research environment;
- Possess a basic knowledge of the South African Port System and Port Infrastructure Planning environment;
- Be competent in stakeholder engagement and management;
- Be able to demonstrate an in-depth knowledge of the National Ports Act, its Directives and Regulations;
- Previous experience within the Ports or Maritime Environment would be an added advantage;
- Previous experience in a Regulatory environment will also serve as a distinct advantage;
- Competent in statistics, quantitative and qualitative research, critical thinking, problem identification and problem solving skills; project conceptualisation and tracking, data sourcing, arrangement, interpretation and analysis; the candidates functions will include:
- Contribute to execution of the Regulator’s mandate as well as the Regulator’s Strategic and Annual Performance Plan;
- Conduct research;
- Undertake stakeholder engagement;
- Conduct assessments and benchmarking of port infrastructure and development plans;
- Project manage and participate as an active member of the Department to facilitate achievement of its objectives and those of Economic Regulation;
- Report writing, development and presentation of findings internally and externally.
The Ports Regulator is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Our building is accessible to people with disabilities, and the organisation will take all reasonable measures to accommodate the needs of successful candidates with disabilities.
The position will be based in Durban, and will entail travel. A competitive remuneration package will be offered to the successful applicant commensurate with their qualifications and experience within the regulatory environment and the Regulator’s policies.
Note: Candidates may be subject to a round of internal testing together with criminal checks and a security clearance.
Applications must consist of the following:
A comprehensive letter of application which includes:
- Notice periods required in current position
- Date of availability to commence employment
- Employment Equity status
- Residence status (RSA citizen, etc)
A complete CV attached thereto, which includes:
- Thorough academic and work history
- Languages spoken and proficiency
- Responsibilities in each position held
- A copy of the Identity Document.
- Certified copies of Senior certificate and other qualifications.
Please contact Atiyah Bhabha on +27 (31) 365 7800 or email for any enquiries about this closed vacancy.